Relevance of Marxism

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Feb 9 17:49:52 PST 2003

> "Third, I can think of no instance in history when an ideology or movement
> that has suffered the kind of defeat Marxism has suffered has made a
> comeback.
>
> Oh, I can think of several. The rise of Alexander the Great, which put an
> end to all experiments with democracy in the Hellenic world. The overturn
> of the Roman Republic. The consistent and complete defeat of the slave
> rebellions in Sicily and Italy. The feudal counterrevolution in 13th- and
> 14th-century Italy (you won't see any more of that bourgeois rule crap!)
> The English Restoration of 1661. The Congress of Vienna, which pretty
much
> put an end to the ideology of the French Revolution. And where did
Radical
> Republicanism go after 1876?
>
> In any case you have to distinguish between defeats suffered by classes,
> parties, governments; and refutations of particular tenets of particular
> schools of Marxism; and the "defeat of Marxism", as a paradigm.
>
> lp

Marxism, like a variety of isms, will be with us for some time, I'm sure. Certainly to the end of all our lives. But this is a down time for the tendency, and it's interesting to see how self-described Marxists (are there any other kind?) are battling and debating how best to advance their beliefs.

Comrade Lou is the brightest person I've seen who's publicly (proudly?) attached to the WWP. What gives?

DP