Anti-war movement, Blair

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sun Feb 9 21:16:13 PST 2003

billbartlett writes:
>But Americans seem to be appalled by this kind of frankness. It isn't just
>about fawning to their leaders, it seems to be how they debate amongst
>themselves. Americans are just very sensitive types.
>
>Debating yanks on this list is like having a discussion with my aged spinster
>great aunt, a life-long member of the Salvation Army. I have to tread so
>carefully, not say anything that might upset their delicate sensitivities
>and when I slip up I get adult men stacking on a terrible turn and shrieking
>hysterically about how rude and uncouth I am. Yet from my point of view,
>I've been going easy on them.

There's a politics to that, of course. For example, it's one of the things women aren't supposed to do, argue. Arguments among women, no matter how contentful, are condemned as catfights because women are supposed to be polite and nonthreatening (and not incidentally unable to get our shit together by having real discussions.) I remember a couple of years ago arguing with two women friends in an airport and a random guy walking the other direction told us, "You're all wrong." He knew cause we were arguing, see? And we hadn't even gotten warmed up! Professionals are stuffed in the same box. New Yorkers are condemned for being argumentative, and working class people (especially women) are 'too loud' all around. I say pour it on.

Jenny Brown