Speaker Wanted

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 9 21:38:21 PST 2003

>Horse Badorties wrote:
>
>>>I am teaching a course on Marx's _Capital_, Vols. II and III at
>>>the Brecht Forum in New York City. Although most of the sessions
>>>are strictly on the texts, a couple will be devoted to "Critiques
>>>and Defenses of Marx." To make things fair, balanced, evenhanded,
>>>I am interested in conducting such sessions as debates. The
>>>questions to be debated are:
>>>
>>>(1) Marx's account of the transformation of values into
>>>production prices has been proven to be internally inconsistent or
>>>in error.
>>>
>>>(2) It has been proven that, contrary to what Marx's theory
>>>states, the effect of technological progress cannot be to lower
>>>the general rate of profit.
>
>How about a third speaker, to argue that the other two are wasting their time?
>
>Doug

Meaning that in this day and age friends do not let friends read volumes II and III of _Capital_? (Certainly I would recommend against letting a friend read them: you get all there is to be gotten out of volume I, "Value, Price, and Profit," "Wage Labor and Capital," the 1859 Preface, the "Critique of the Gotha Program," and the Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844.)

Brad DeLong