Speaker Wanted

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 10 05:18:02 PST 2003

Bradford DeLong wrote:

>Meaning that in this day and age friends do not let friends read
>volumes II and III of _Capital_? (Certainly I would recommend
>against letting a friend read them: you get all there is to be
>gotten out of volume I, "Value, Price, and Profit," "Wage Labor and
>Capital," the 1859 Preface, the "Critique of the Gotha Program," and
>the Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844.)

Vol. 1 is a masterpiece, veering between factory reports and Pindar. Vol. 2, well I'm immune to the charms of that one - all those reproduction schemas bore me to death. But Vol. 3, despite its ragged state, is full of gems, e.g., all the wonderful stuff about the credit system and the joint-stock company, to take two topics near to my heart.

My beef is with the value theorists, who spend endless hours on whether Marx made a logical error or not and all that theological crap. I never understood what the point was. It seems obsessive and theological.

Doug