Stephen Zunes on WWP

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 10 20:40:44 PST 2003

Michael Pugliese wrote:
> If Stephen Zunes, who writes for Z, and teaches at USF, a Jesuit school
> with a Dean who was close to the murdered Jesuit professors of El
> Salvador back in '80 (See this collection of the writings of one of
> them, <URL: http://www.hup.harvard.edu/
> catalog/MARWRI.html > ) wants to speak at our rally on the 16th, will
> IAC/ANSWER/WWP deny him too?
>
> He was quoted by Byron York in NR, ""The Workers World Party is one of
> the most obnoxious groups on the far Left," says Stephen Zunes, an
> associate professor of politics at the University of San Francisco who
> studies the antiwar movement. The WWP exercises influence, Zunes
> explains, by its sheer energy and resourcefulness. "Historically, you
> have these groups that are just able to out-organize anybody else. One
> thing you can say about Marxist/Leninist groups is that at least in the
> organization stage, they are very efficient." The Workers World Party
> has simply out- hustled other leftist groups in the work of getting
> parade permits and organizing big events. According to Zunes, that has
> created a problem for more moderate antiwar organizations. "It causes
> division among the non- authoritarian Left groups. They say, 'Do we
> march at a rally organized by a group like this? I don't feel
> comfortable with this, but it's the only game in town.'"

I'm getting the vibe more and more that the WWP's brief hegemony over the peace movement has begun to wane. If people are still going to ANSWER protests, they are doing so more with an eye to subvert those events for their own style of dissent. That could even be seen at the January 18th protest, with all the different signs and lack of consistent blocs.

Other groups want to do something different and I think this weekend's protests will show what anti-war dissent will look like from now on.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips