Judge Denies March Permit, Feb15 Protest Goes On

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 10 23:26:20 PST 2003

At 11:50 PM -0500 2/10/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>Amen. The police have screwed themselves, because protest permits
>are one of the most effective ways to control protesters. On the
>flip side, I think this bodes badly for dissent in this country, as
>I think the cops will just resort to violence.

I wonder if blanket permit denials are in effect in other cities as well.

At 11:50 PM -0500 2/10/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>Of course, what most activists and protesters don't understand is
>that the protest permit system was developed by the police after the
>1960s to get activists to police themselves. Bashing heads in the
>1960s made the cops look bad, so in the 1970s they developed new
>methods of working with activists.

In Columbus, OH, we sometimes get permits and sometimes don't, depending on orgs involved, purposes of demonstrations, etc. When we advertise an upcoming protest widely with flyers and the like everywhere, without getting any permit, the police go ahead and contact known organizers, in a pseudo-friendly fashion: "So, we hear you're planning a protest...." Sometimes, even before we get around to advertising widely in a very public fashion, the police call us anyhow, when they get a wind of some kind of major national day of action: "Aren't you having a protest on X?" :-0 -- Yoshie