bash your own country

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Tue Feb 11 10:10:44 PST 2003

At 12:02 PM 02/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Favourable comparison:
>- - relative absence of familialism and clientelism
>- - meritocracy, at least in principle
>- - openness of the society, at least in principle
>- - upward mobility for women
>- - ease in obtaining everyday life necessities

Well, I agree with your unfavorable list...as for the above: "meritocracy and openness" ...just as you say, mostly "in principle." Though I would say that in the last twenty years, it has been more a mood of "Them that's got shall have.Them that's not shall lose." Period....even "in principle."

"Upward mobility" for women? Sure, they can be assholes if they want to now.... But, at the lower end of the spectrum: nothing or less than nothing, as all women have to work now and there is NO social support for families whatsoever. (OK. OK. It's true that a small group of educated women have more opportunities now than thirty years ago; however this was more the result of the fact that a man's wage could no longer support a family than due to any warm-hearted social embrace of women.)

"Ease in obtaining everyday necessities"...I don't think this belongs on any list pertaining to a 1st world country.

Joanna