...I'm gonna eat some worms

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 11 11:04:21 PST 2003

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Kevin Robert Dean wrote:

> "One way to prevent violence is by reducing instances of
> social rejection," said Twenge. "We can also prevent
> violence by reducing feelings of narcissism. For example,
> schools should carefully examine any programs that are
> intended to increase students' self-esteem. Many of these
> programs cross the line into encouraging narcissism and
> egoism. These programs could backfire by increasing
> aggression among students, because narcissistic students
> are more aggressive."
> ---
> Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]

Man oh man this is weak. I'm embarrassed these guys call themselves research psychologists. If narcissism is related to aggression, we can't just jump to the conclusion that reducing narcissism will reduce violence; nor should we make snarky comments about the negative effects of encouraging self-esteem in students. This analysis implies that the personality trait is the cause, without taking into consideration any plausible confounds that could explain the relationship (e.g., other psychological characteristics, biological factors, sociocultural variables).

Chalk up another one for the cult of personality!

Miles