Direct Action at the Holland Tunnel RIGHT NOW!

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Feb 11 16:49:15 PST 2003

loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:

> This is not a new issue, and it gets argued out over and over every time
> someone occupies an intersection or a revolving door.
>
> It depends on the context. If it were a new issue, if we were just starting
> out trying to do the work of education, if it were something people hadn't
> thought about, then this kind of action might well just turn people off.
>
> I personally don't think we are in that kind of time. If you go out and block
> a tunnel over the issue of the impending war on Iraq, it's not as if it's
> something people haven't thought about. I think that there is already a vast
> amount of anti-war sentiment out there, we are very clearly at a crisis point,
> and the point now is to mobilize that sentiment using a variety of means. At
> a time like this, it is well worth sending the message that if we go ahead
> with this war, there will be costs and disruptions, and that disruption and
> direct action are appropriate and necessary.
>
> PARTICULARLY since they have suspended the First Amendment and outlawed non-
> violent protest marches in New York.

All the more reason to engage in civil disobedience.

I'm not surprised that somebody who supports the WWP would speak up against civil disobedience. Sorry if this action doesn't contribute to party-building.

BTW, I dug up more dirt today on ANSWER. Another local group is pissed off at one of their supporters, who put raising money for ANSWER above common sense and mutual aid. And it looks even more like ANSWER's work on the Palestinian issue is a hollow sham.

;-p

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips