Pictures on signs

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Thu Feb 13 06:07:58 PST 2003

Hi,

Easy with the right equipment, or easy if you are willing to pay a copy shop big bucks.

First question is color or black and white?

Second question is do you have access to a color or b/w photocopier that takes 11x14 or other big sheets of paper, does it have the paper to use, does it have a zoom function?

Third question is do you have a program that will open the picture file and then print it out?

If you can use a photocopier, print out the graphic as large as you can make it on the biggest sheet of paper your printer will take, and then enlarge it on the photocopier.

If you don't have a photocopier, take the printed image to a copy shop, and have them enlarge it onto a big sheet of paper.

If all you have is the .jpg file, many copy shops will take an image from a floppy disk or Zip drive and enlarge it onto a sheet of paper for a fee. Some will even accept the file e-mailed to them.

Be warned that as a .jpg is enlarged, on the computer or mechanically, it will lose quality. If you have photo-editing software (which can be downloaded for free), it is better to first enlarge the image to the maximun size of the paper on which you can print.

In our ofice we have our computers hooked up to the photocopier which takes 11x14 sheets and we can do this all in one step.

Don't forget to glue the paper onto a cardboard backing. Spray glue or glue sticks make this easy.

-Chip "former Zippie agit-prop activist" Berlet