The Lerner Affair

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Thu Feb 13 09:10:48 PST 2003

At 09:05 AM 02/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Joanna>...Pure red-baiting...
>
> WWP supported killing reform communists like Imre Nagy (would Marcy have
>called for Lukacs to be hauled out of the foreign embassy that harbored him
>after the tanks rolled and shot too?), tanks in Hungary shooting communist
>workers in '56 and Prague in '68, killing reformist students and working
>class communists in Beijing in '91. Sure if you dig in WW one could find
>blasts at Eurocommunist PCI.

I'm not a member of WWP and know little about them. On the other hand, I have met Lerner, heard him speak for well over three hours on the situation in the Middle East and left with my blood pressure in dangerous territory.

I don't think he gives a rat's ass about WWP's anti-democratic practices. I think he's a megalomaniac who has managed, once again, to get a lot of airtime...at a crucial moment when forces were coalescing for the most major anti-war protest to date. I'm not whining/complaining about redbaiting, I'm just describing what I see Lerner as doing and I find it revolting.

Joanna