Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 13 11:39:42 PST 2003

> more qualified than I to speak to that question. But
> if your point is that we shouldn't have any romantic
> notions about the American working class, or any
> "working class" for that matter, then I agree with
> you.
>
> -Thomas

Thanks. That was exactly my point.

But I am usually suspicious of any generalizations. I could, for example, tell you a very different story of a construction worker from West Virginia I met in a Baltimore laundromat a couple of years ago. The place was located in the "hood," it was about 11PM and it was the only lit display window on the whole block. That prompted the guy (there was no one else in the room but two of us) to comment that we are a perfect target for a drive by shooting, and then go on with a racist rant. Since I did not pick up the subject, he stopped, thought for a while and then said that he was not a racist, in fact most of his co-workers were black and he got along with them just fine, but he was afraid of a big city, especially crime, and he heard a lot of shooting in the area (which was true) so the whole situation made him nervous. I was quite impressed by his ability to self-reflect.

I tend to belive that people in themselves do not amount to much, it is social institutions that make them think and act certain way. Given the US petit bourgeois institutional landscape and the scarcity of progressive working class institutions (untul recently, most unions were appendages of the CIA in the anti-communist crusades at home and abroad) - it is hardly surprising that working class tends to be right wing and jingoistic.

Wojtek