Land of the Future

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Feb 13 11:29:49 PST 2003

Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:

> > Btw, what are the prospects of Brazil emerging as a superpower?
>
> An interesting question. Lula and the WP will struggle mightily to
> construct a basic welfare/developmental state,

I don't know what is a "developmental state". I can understand a term like "bourgeois state", but I am not sure "developmental state" is a useful category.

> but semi-peripheries have

I am not sure what are peripheries and semi-peripheries, and whether they are useful categories.

Semi-perpheries
> always needed rising metropoles to flourish (the EU vis-a-vis Eastern
> Europe/Russia, East Asia vis-a-vis SE Asia/China).

Where do you find rising metropoles nowadays?

> Ideally, the EU ought to lend a helping hand in Latin America, i.e.
> forgive some of Brazil's horrendous foreign debt. Yet another task for the
> Euroleft...

Is the Euroleft a significant force?

Ulhas