Land of the Future

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 13 18:52:50 PST 2003

Quoting Ulhas Joglekar <uvj at vsnl.com>:

> I don't know what is a "developmental state".

A state which grows the productive forces, instead of plundering them.

> I am not sure what are peripheries and semi-peripheries, and whether they
> are useful categories.

Metropole: owns its own credit, technology, industry (e.g. Japan). Semi- periphery: owns some of its own credit, but dependent on foreign technology and overseas markets (e.g. South Korea). Periphery: has nothing but its labor-power to sell (e.g. rural China).

> Where do you find rising metropoles nowadays?

East Asia and the EU.

-- DRR

------------------------------------------------------------ Visit http://www.efn.org for all your community networking needs