the lobby has no power...

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Thu Feb 13 20:40:00 PST 2003

while we argue about whether a left wing group is too left or not left enough to organize a demo, and whether one or another famous semi-left personality should speak at the rally, we may miss items like this...

from the AIPAC web site:

" U.S. House Commends Israeli Democracy, Reaffirms Support

The House of Representatives late Tuesday voted overwhelmingly to “commend the people of Israel for reaffirming their dedication to democratic ideals” following the January 28 re-election of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. The resolution, which passed 411-2, also reaffirms the “close bonds of friendship” that have “bound the people of the United States and the people of Israel together through turbulent times for more than half a century,” and urges the Palestinian leadership to act on President Bush’s June 24, 2002, call to elect new leaders, dismantle the terrorist infrastructure, end incitement and embrace democracy. The bill, introduced byRep. Eric Cantor (R-VA), was cosponsored by Reps.

Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Tom DeLay (R-TX), Roy Blunt (R-MO), Steny Hoyer (D-MD), John Lewis (D-GA), Henry Hyde (R-IL), Tom Lantos (D-CA), Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and Gary Ackerman (D-NY)."

makes you feel warm all over, doesn't it? but of course, the israeli lobby doesn't have any power over our congress... the two who voted against must be holocaust deniers and protocol fans ...right?

fs