Noam signs on

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Fri Feb 14 05:04:32 PST 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:
> > should a person be imprisoned for holocaust denial? i think that
>> would be a contextual issue. perhaps not in the usa but in, say,
>> germany? france might be a bit more iffy, but given french complicity
>> in the genocide, it's probably justifiable.
>>
>> hey, someone wants to spread lies must be prepared to pay for it. and
>> sorry, i can't feel too principled about that.
>>
>> kj khoo
>
>That's too bad -- because it's in these extreme cases where we find out
>who's really serious about free speech.
>
>Apart from libel (and even that's sketchy for some, including Chomsky, who
>on principle won't sue those who've blatantly lied about him) and incitement
>to violence, I say protect the right to lie about history. Otherwise, you
>allow the state to determine what's historically correct, and we've seen
>rather brutal examples of where that leads.

If we're talking about views, interpretations, by all means. But it's not always that, is it? And I think the holocaust as policy falls into the solid parts of the region of fact by now. Fifty years ago, it might have been arguable -- but then, few were arguing for obvious reasons. Today, it is surely like saying "flat earth".

I restrict my view to cases of if and only if they fall well within the region of fact. Please, none of that post-modernist stuff on 'fact'. There are facts, even if the region of fact is a much more plastic one than positivists claimed.

Of course this should be further qualified -- but don't really want to get into it at this time. Fine, if the creationists, or flat earthers want to keep going. But when it comes down to events/policies such as the holocaust, I'm afraid my tolerance level is very, very low.

Basically, while I am in, say, 99% agreement with your view, I do not feel comfortable with affirming it as unconditional and unconditioned. Context and history must surely count for something.

kjk