People's Weekly World top stories, Feb 15, 2003

Tony listadmin at pww.org
Fri Feb 14 10:33:28 PST 2003

People's Weekly World top stories, Feb 15, 2003

Powell at UN caught in web of lies By Tim Wheeler

NEW YORK – The Bush administration faced a widening credibility gap in its efforts to convince the world that a war to remove Saddam Hussein is imperative even if 100,000 Iraqis die in the Pentagon’s “Shock and Awe” war scenario.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2925/1/138/

Labor hits Bush war drive By Roberta Wood

CHICAGO – Besieged on many fronts – layoffs, pension grabs, loss of medical benefits and even the very right to organize – but fighting back, workers and their unions are adding stopping the Bush administration’s disastrous war on Iraq to their urgent agenda.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2926/1/138/

France, Germany propose alternative to war By Terrie Albano

CHICAGO – Indicating the widening gulf between the Bush administration and much of the nation and world over the administration’s drive to war, a leading Republican senator is saying the U.S. should let Iraq weapons inspections work.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2940/1/138/

For a world without war, millions must imagine and act By Sam Webb, national chair, Communist Party

I wasn’t surprised to hear that the crew on the space shuttle Columbia enjoyed listening to John Lennon’s “Imagine.” Looking at our beautiful and fragile planet from space must evoke a deep feeling – a feeling that Imagine captures so poignantly – of the oneness of life and the overarching necessity of safeguarding world peace.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2927/1/138/

Will history repeat itself? An interview with Ryo Kumasaka

Ryo Kumasaka was playing touch football in a nearby playground on December 7, 1941, when he heard Japanese planes had bombed Pearl Harbor.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2932/1/138/

Aroused, determined, mobilized: Americans say no war on Iraq

In the wake of Sept.11, 2001, and the rightward shift in the 2002 elections, few in the Bush inner circle could have predicted that in the bitter winter of 2003, from Miami to Anchorage, millions of Americans would march...

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2947/1/138/

Conn. labor says ‘Human needs first’ By Joelle Fishman

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Braving frigid cold winds, staff members and patients at the Connecticut Mental Health Center (CMHC) spent their lunch hour on the picket line, Feb. 3, wearing District 1199 signs proclaiming “Patient Care is OUR bottom line.”

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2928/1/138/

New Yorkers fight ‘war economy’ By Dan Margolis

NEW YORK – On the eve of the peace rally that is set to bring out hundreds of thousands against the war, people across this city are in the middle of a fight against what has been called a “war economy.”

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2929/1/138/

Youth say: No to war, no to poverty draft By Adanjesus Marin

The movement against a war on Iraq is at an unprecedented moment: never before has stopping a U.S. war before it starts even seemed a possibility. I am painfully aware that tomorrow or the day after, the war could start, and this writing may be moot. But such a broad movement against the war has emerged, that the power to stop it before it starts does exist. If we succeed in stopping it, I believe we will accomplish more than keeping bullets from flying or bombs from dropping.

Read the full story at http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/2953/1/138/

To read current and back issues of the People’s Weekly World go to http://www.pww.org

If you would like your email address taken off the PWW blast list please send an email to listadmin at pww.org with the subject REMOVE.