Vive la France, cont.

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Feb 14 14:00:34 PST 2003

All this Frog-philia has inspired me to dig up O'Donoghue's "Letters From France" manuscript. I haven't look at this thing is years, and it's a vile collection of ethnic slurs and cheap sex jokes. So, in the spirit of this thread, I thought I'd offer this excerpt.

[The "Tim" O'D addresses is Timothy White, a former Rolling Stone editor and editor-in-chief for Billboard magazine. White died of a heart attack in a Viacom building elevator about a year or so ago.]

" . . .[T]he French must love to suck massive amounts of dick or else why, with all those school girls dolled up in those darling Catholic uniforms with the teeny-tiny gold crosses around their necks and the little white socks and everything, why, I ask you, Tim, do they not have the highest incidence of rape in all the world? *Massive amounts of dick.* The only explanation. Case closed. Which reminds me of a swell joke that John Paul-Sartre told me recently at a luncheon for the Bureau of Porcelain Street Signs. "Mike," he inquired, "What is white, weighs forty tons, and holds a harpoon at your throat while he butt-fucks you in an alley?" Cast once again in the role of beefwit, I responded, "Gosh, I couldn't guess in a million years, John Paul." "Moby Rape!" came the reply. "Another swell joke," I said, but he was dead already, dropping like a stone, his teeth splintering the edge of a flawless Louis XVI ormolu-mounted tulipwood cabinet inset with four Sevres plaques in a subdued floral motif."

DP