Call CNN's domestic news desk, tell Aaron Brown to tell the truth about the anti-war movement

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 14 21:47:44 PST 2003

I just called CNN's international desk ( 404-827-1519 ) and asked to transfer to the domestic desk. I asked the domestic desk why Aaron Brown claimed that the protest movement this time around is *smaller* than Gulf War 1, which according to Brown's reporter had 10's of thousands of protestors a decade ago. I stated the claim that now it is smaller is bizarre when the last two protests against war, according to the DC police chief Ramsey in the Washington Post had over 100K each time and were bigger than anything in over a decade. I also noted that the SF Chronicle had an article a few weeks ago on Jan. 21, had an interview with the SF police in which they stated that probably over 100K-200K showed up in SF for the anti-war protest on Jan. 18. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0121-08.htm

I also asked why tonight's web story on the protests worldwide leads with a headline stating that 10's of thousands march in Melbourne and scroll down to find out according to CNN's own story that 100K or more are there according to Melbourne police!! http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/02/14/sprj.irq.protests/index.html

The response was, "I'll email aaron brown right now, everyone makes mistakes, we'll change it now..."...I asked once more, "you're going to change the melbourne story?"...He said, "yes, we all make mistakes, right? you do right?..." I recommend a lot of folks get that number and keep on calling CNN on cell phones...pass the cell phones around at the rally...call CNN domestic desk while ya march!! Tell them to stop lying about the numbers.

Steve