the ten million person 'march'

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Feb 14 22:18:59 PST 2003

[maybe we are the real globalization movement? :-) globalization, not capitalism!]

Millions to march in hundreds of cities - a global protest begins

More than 10 million people are expected to take to the streets in 600 cities today as part of global demonstrations against a war in Iraq

John Vidal Saturday February 15, 2003 The Guardian

More than 10 million people are expected to take to the streets in 600 cities today as part of global demonstrations against a war in Iraq. It is anticipated that today's marches will be the largest ever for a single cause and far greater than at the height of the Vietnam war in the 60s.

Last night London was celebrating peace, as politicians, poets, musicians, trade unionists and actors came together to lead debates and concerts. But protest organisers raised the stakes by calling on people to stage thousands of impromptu demonstrations, sit-ins, walkouts, strikes, vigils and acts of civil disobedience as soon as hostilities started.

"We want people to strike on the day that war breaks out and occupy the whole Whitehall area of central London," said Lindsey German of the Stop the War Coalition.

Downing Street said those taking part in marches were "motivated by the best intentions and believe sincerely in their views". A spokesman added: "The prime minister respects that. In a democracy people are entitled to protest and are entitled to make their views heard.

"Given we are talking about a democratic expression of a point of view, people should not forget that in Iraq no such right exists.

"If you voice opposition to Saddam Hussein you face torture, imprisonment or death."

Growing anger at the way the government is said to be risking British lives was confirmed by a YouGov poll of more than 1,000 Londoners yesterday which sug gested people overwhelmingly think a terrorist attack in London is more likely if British forces fight in Iraq.

Not one person thought attacking Iraq would make terrorist attacks less likely, while only 22% thought the real aim of a war was to eliminate weapons of mass destruction.

One of the speakers at today's London rally, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, challenged Mr Blair to meet Saddam Hussein. "I hope that Mr Blair ... would do something as bold as go to Iraq and talk to Saddam face to face," he said.

There are expected to be about 3,500 police on duty at today's marches with 1,000 in reserve.

There were signs that demonstrators would ignore the designated routes, with many groups saying they planned to protest at the US embassy.