The Lerner Mountain out of Dunghill

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 15 00:08:54 PST 2003

An anti-Zionist magazine I buy on occasion, The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs <URL: http://www.washington-report.org/ > , which has range of views from left, center and right, in it's reportage on IAC's big Palestine March in Washington, D.C. had a photo illustration with numerous Star of David = Nazi Swastka placards. (Though I also notices two folks next to each other one of whom had the (Hindu? Assyrian?) version not the one of the NSDAP. Now, there are progressive and radical anti-Zionists like a Norman Finkelstein whose books I've decided to tackle in toto who despite the calumnies of neo-cons and TNR liberals are forthright in polemicizing against conscious anti-semitism (an example here, I ran across at the pro- Palestinian Media Monitors Network, in it's intro invokes the classic Protocols discourse of the tentacles of the Octopus [cf. Norman Cohn's book on the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion] and then there are folks like the loon who I've run into at demos who kibbitzes with the Sparts, reads The Spotlight/American Free Press [first time I ran into him was at my fave 24-7 donut shop, he had just checked out a book I'd just read by Michael Shermer on Holocaust Denial from UC Press, I assumed at first he shared my criticism of the Denialists ], has a uncanny likeness to Michael Lerner and in my last argument with him supports the pseudo-scholarship of former French Communist, Roger Garaudy, who was to have been a speaker at Holocaust Denial conference in Lenanon sponsored by the Writers Union which was condemned by Edward Said but, which was cancelled after heavy pressure from the US Embassy.

-- Michael Pugliese