NYT comes out for disarming Saddam

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Feb 15 11:04:29 PST 2003

> [I saw Kenneth Pollack on CNN today. His book is the best in regards
> to making the case for disarming Saddam. He said world-wide
> public anti-war sentiment has become a big problem for the Bush
> administration, but that they made the decision to go to war
> "3 weeks ago."]

Of course they have. We all know this. The time has come to replace our once-valuable client with someone new -- even if, in the short term, it's an American.

"Disarmament" is a joke. Bush is taking down Saddam because he can, and because, in the interests of a long-standing imperial Gulf policy, it makes perfect sense. That our former friend and imperial asset is a murderous thug certainly helps when pulling his plug -- though if Saddam were a populist democrat who defied the US in the interests of regional justice and self-determination, the Bush gang would cook up something to justify their aggression. But as it stands, Saddam's tyranny simplifies the PR effort. Once again, he's helping the US.

DP