Demos in Bosnia & Cyprus

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 15 21:56:21 PST 2003

"In Sarajevo, a city still scarred by Bosnia's civil war of 1992-to-1995, around 500 protesters marched on the US embassy to mark their opposition to the conflict" ("Weekend of Anti-war Rallies Start in Australia," <http://www.dw-world.de/english/0,3367,1429_W_779261,00.html>).

***** In the Bosnian city of Mostar, about a hundred Muslims and Croats united for an anti-war protest -- the first such cross-community action in seven years in a place where ethnic divisions here remain tense despite the 1995 Bosnian peace agreement.

"We want to say that war is evil and that we who survived one know that better than anyone," said Majda Hadzic, 54.

In divided Cyprus, about 500 Greeks and Turks braved heavy rain for a march which briefly blocked the end of a runway at a British air base.

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/02/15/international1020EST0482.DTL> ***** -- Yoshie