450 women killed in Pak honour killings in 2002

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Feb 15 22:24:26 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Ulhas Joglekar quoted a December 10th, Hindustan Times article (running an Agence France article) that said:

> More than 450 women killed in Pakistan 'honour killings' in 2002
>
> Agence France-Presse
> Islamabad, December 10
>
> More than 450 Pakistani women or girls were killed by relatives this
> year in so-called "honour killings," and at least as many were raped, a
> rights group [the private Human Rights Commission on Pakistan] said on
> Tuesday.

Are the 469 rapes described in this article "honor rapes," so to speak? I'm familiar with honor killings, where a husband or brother kills a woman who has engaged in sex they didn't authorize. But the more I read the South Asian papers, the more I hear mention of these "community ordered rapes," where village elders order the rape of a woman (very often a yong girl) in order to shame the family she belongs to, even though she has done nothing. And by extension, it seems gang rape becomes considered a legitimate substitute for honor killing. It's all pretty new to me and seems almost too bad to be true. And yet it seems that to the editors and readers of these newspapers, it's such a familiar feature of the social landscape that's barely even newsworthy; the average article is short and goes into no detail. Do you know where I can read something comprehensive about this phenomenon? Do you (or anyone else) know if it occurs in tribal societies outside outside South Asia? And does it have a particular phrase attached to it, similar to "honor killings," so that I could google it easier?

Michael