NYC 2/15

Nomiprins at aol.com Nomiprins at aol.com
Sun Feb 16 07:47:41 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/16/2003 4:19:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, mpollak at panix.com writes:

> I also liked one chubby little boy carrying a sign that said "Get Bush a
> Game Boy!" And who could not love the GLAMericans Shock and Awe routine?
> But I think my faves were . .. well I think they were the Eco-Erotic Noise
> Brigade, but they could have been the Mardi Gras Carnival Bloc. Pretty
> green people with Mardi Gras hats and make-up and many with headbands that
> said Reclaim the Beat. Which they did.

I hung around the radical cheerleaders through much of the march. They had terrific slogans like:

'We fight bombs with pom-poms' and

'Fight Bush - give him a push'...

The T-shirt - 'Blame Florida' also got some good responses.

Separately, cops on 50th street between Lex. and 3rd, kept alternating between letting us fill the street and pushing us back onto the overcrowded sidewalks. This accordion affect happened like 5 times as we tried to make our way East.

During, a bathroom pitstop at a bagel place on the corner of 51st and 3rd - I bumped into a few junior cops taking a lunch break and chatting with protesters. One of them, Officer Moscoso was pretty talkative. He said, "We're just as much pawns in a chess set as you are - believe me, we're running around like chickens with our heads cut off. Only the senior guys know the real game plan. And they sure don't share it with us."

Still, he was armed.

Nomi -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030216/92794047/attachment.htm>