Numbers (Re: Seize the Day

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 10:05:56 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Nathan Newman wrote:

> But the reality is good enough without mythmaking. I was doing police
> observing block by block as First Avenue filled. It got up to 72nd
> Avenue with pens filled.

Well that's what's wrong with my estimate then. I had heard (never actually having gotten to see it) that the rally extended 60 blocks, which I took to mean 60 blocks on First Avenue. If it only went to 72nd street, then I guess 60 was the estimate for how many full-block equivalents the entire gathering amounted to.

And you're quite right. Beyond "lots," numbers don't matter, spirit does. And the spirit was great. Oh, and the chaos factor, and we had lots of that too.

Michael