Seize the Day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 17:45:11 PST 2003

billbartlett at dodo.com.au wrote:

>My impression is that this exactly the sentiment that is emerging.
>Clearly there are millions of who are outraged by the notion that
>the nation with the superior military might is entitled to impose
>its will on the rest of the world. This used to be accepted, today
>it is regarded as unacceptable. It seems to me that is a huge
>subjective change and one that makes sense historically.

Yeah, I think it's important for the antiwar movement to emphasize that this isn't just about Iraq, but a big imperial design. Sure there may be pix of smiling Iraqis greeting their liberators, but how long will that last? Afg is a mess. The U.S. is unwilling to spend the effort and money to rebuild what it's been destroying for over 10 years in Iraq's case, 20 in Afg's. Of course CNN won't feature the month or year after, but if we have to rely on CNN's editorial decisions, we're fucked.

Doug