Seize the Day

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:47:47 PST 2003

>From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>At 2:51 AM -0500 2/16/03, Michael Pollak wrote:
>> > I mean, no war on Iraq? Okay. But what instead?
>>How about a world in which the US leads rather than shows contempt for the
>>rest of the world?
>
>At 7:21 PM +0000 2/16/03, Carl Remick wrote:
>>The New York Times
>>Antiwar Marches Reveal Gulf Between Leaders and People
>>By ALAN COWELL
>>
>>LONDON, Feb. 16 — The drive toward war with Iraq has produced many
>>divisions along the way — between the United States and Europe, and within
>>Europe itself. But, on Saturday, as millions across this divided continent
>>marched to demand peace, a further, sharp rift opened up — not across
>>continents, but within nations, between ruler and ruled.
>
>I look forward to a world in which rulers and regimes that cast their lot
>with the USG get overthrown by those whom they have ruled.
>--
>Yoshie

[From your lips to God's ear, Yoshie. Here's another collector's item from the NY Times:]

A New Power in the Streets

By PATRICK E. TYLER

WASHINGTON, Feb. 16 — The fracturing of the Western alliance over Iraq and the huge antiwar demonstrations around the world this weekend are reminders that there may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States and world public opinion.

In his campaign to disarm Iraq, by war if necessary, President Bush appears to be eyeball to eyeball with a tenacious new adversary: millions of people who flooded the streets of New York and dozens of other world cities to say they are against war based on the evidence at hand. ...

For the moment, an exceptional phenomenon has appeared on the streets of world cities. It may not be as profound as the people's revolutions across Eastern Europe in 1989 or in Europe's class struggles of 1848, but politicians and leaders are unlikely to ignore it. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/17/international/middleeast/17ASSE.html?pagewanted=all&position=top>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail