Quarter of a million people march in Sydney

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 17 00:07:19 PST 2003

I don't think there were half a million rallying in Sydney, as some of the organisers claim, but the claim that 300 000 did the march seems more reasonable. We were about five blocks in, and when we got to the end (16 blocks, I think it was) we still had to be diverted away from returning to Hyde Park because the crowd hadn't finished leaving there yet.

So, a lot of people.

Bob Brown's speech kind of worried me, but then he always kind of worries me. So comfortable and vague... sure everyone (at least everyone there) can get behind less money for weapons and more for feeding the hungry, but it's so content free. I know I should just be thrilled there were so many, it was such a success, and relieved it's had such generally positive press even in the more hideous media formats (because that makes it so much more effective), and I am, I guess. Yeah, I am. But the unfocused rhetoric still bothered me.

Oh and my favourite sign was definitely "Axis of Weasels". Sean liked the more obscure "Dave says 'No'".

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/