Lerner (presumably) speaks out

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Mon Feb 17 07:57:11 PST 2003

> Well, had he been libeling them before or after the decision to disinvite
him?

> This is what is truly confusing to me. What was the content of Lerner's
> criticisms of ANSWER _before_ his consideration as a speaker on F16? His
> interview with the NYT happened when, exactly? And, if anyone has that
> interview/article, I'd like to read it. Some of the forwards to the list
> haven't been clear on timeline issues.

> Kelley

The content was just what he says in the link that I provided. Read through it, and it gives you the timeline:

(a) The October 26 rally. Lerner says ANSWER is anti-Semitic because it raised the "unrelated" issue of Palestine.

(b) The January 18 rally. Lerner says ANSWER is anti-semitic because it raised the "unrelated" issue of Palestine.

Through this whole period Lerner is raising this in Tikkumail. See www.tikkun.org and click on the Tikkunmail - back issues link on the left side.

(c) The NYT article appeared the week after Jan. 18, something like Jan. 21 or 22. It was written by the same reporter who had been criticized for downsizing the numbers. It's out there somewhere but I can't do the search right now.

(d) He says the same stuff on a radio show.

(e) UFPJ then tells him they aren't nominating him to speak.

(f) He says that he doesn't care if he speaks, since 3 minutes isn't long enough, but he wants UFPJ and the other coalitions to issue a statement attacking ANSWER for anti-Semitism.

(g) They don't do it.

(h) He issues the "ANSWER banned me" letter that ignited the whole flap.

LP