Honor rape

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Mon Feb 17 11:04:13 PST 2003

At 09:05 AM 02/16/2003 -0500, Michael wrote:
>And yet it seems that to the editors and
>readers of these newspapers, it's such a familiar feature of the social
>landscape that's barely even newsworthy; the average article is short and
>goes into no detail. Do you know where I can read something comprehensive
>about this phenomenon? Do you (or anyone else) know if it occurs in
>tribal societies outside outside South Asia?

Up until the fifties family-sanctioned rapes were not unusual in rural areas in Romania. If a young woman resisted a marriage that was arranged for her by the respective families, she might be raped by the would-be husband into submission (with both families' approval). The marriage then would usually take place...or a suicide.

Lovely stuff. I don't know how wide-spread this practice was.

Joanna