scientific journals gag selves

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Feb 17 11:40:14 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Chronicle of Higher Education - February 17, 2003
>
> Journal Editors and Scientists Call for More Caution in Publishing
> Potentially Dangerous Research
> By LILA GUTERMAN

I ran into one of my co-workers from AAAS the other day and they were telling me about the regime change at AAAS (which publishes Science). Apparently the new CEO has instituted a regular reign of terror that has shaken up the entire association. His operating style seems to revolve around building up his ego, from what my source tells me. Lots of people have been fired or are jumping ship. The circulation of Science has dropped and association membership is way down. Most of this has to do with external market changes, but that hasn't stopped the new CEO from wrongly blaming AAAS employees.

My source tells me that I would be more miserable being at AAAS than I would be being unemployed for a long time.

It sucks that these journals are censoring themselves.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips