oh intellectuals! was Re: Bash your own country

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Feb 17 20:06:29 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven McGraw" <stmcgraw at vt.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 5:00 PM Subject: Re: oh intellectuals! was Re: Bash your own country

> That's true. Is anyone doing work on the issue of a responsible income?
> I've often doubted that we could sustain Michael Albert's 50k-a-year
figure
> in a global economy where America, Germany, England, Spain etc did not
> depend on superexploited third world workers.

There are plenty of countries (like, say, Sweden and probably even the US as well) that have very high median standards of living that wouldn't plummet precipitously if sweatshops were to vanish.

-- Luke .