Pigs On Horses/Leftist Cavalry

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 17 19:10:05 PST 2003

When Jose Napoleon Duarte, the Christian Democrat President of El Salvador, in the early 80's visited San Francisco in '82 or '83, I came up to protest with a bunch of CISPES members. The SFPD corralled us into a tight space, and the usual trashing/burning of newspaper racks, breaking windows and such occurred as tempers flared over the hrs. A bunch of kids about our age brought marbles to throw on the ground, at the police horses on the street. Soon horses were falling down. These were not members of PETA or Animal Liberation Front, I assume ;-)

Isaac Babel, btw, has a great story on the Cossack cavalry, no?

-- Michael Pugliese