Le Monde: odd things about Osama tape

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Feb 18 06:48:28 PST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> So are we to conclude that al-jazeera is now being run from Langley?

Yah got me. But they do run things when we tell them to.

It seems like we ran it there first and then on Fox in order to give it more credibility.

That is, more credibility here. It seems to have given it less credibility in the Arab world, just because al-Jazeera has often let his statements sit for awhile before broadcasting them. And cet. par., they wouldn't have broadcast this during the end of the Hajj, which would just make them more trouble with surrounding governments for no gain. Nobody wants trouble on the Hajj. 1979 was everyone's worst nightmare.

Michael