Fisk

loupaulsen at attbi.com loupaulsen at attbi.com
Tue Feb 18 12:58:47 PST 2003

Carl:
> >[Fisk has a point but seems a bit cranky here -- maybe the lingering effects
> >of flu]

Mark:
> He's only telling the truth. You don't even have to leave
> lbo-talk to read condescending attitudes towards working people,
> including those he mentions who go on to become "cannon-fodder" .

Fisk:
> >The people with whom these liberal academics should be building bridges are
> >the truck-drivers and bell-hops and Amtrak crews, the poor blacks and the
> >cops whose families provide the cannon fodder for America's overseas
> >military adventures. But that, of course, would force intellectuals to
> >emerge from the sheltered, tenured world of seminars and sit-ins and deal
> >directly with those whose opinions they wish to change.

You know what Fisk's problem is, though? He never met the real left at all, it looks like. I thought this when I first read the column the other day. He got introduced to a bunch of liberal academics and left pundits, not any real organizers, and so of course he got disgusted with the left. This is the companion thread of the Taibbi thread!

lp