Isms and other matters

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 18 17:07:44 PST 2003

> > >I listed several rather important changes between the capitalism of
>> >the mid-19th cenutry and the early 21st - a rather long period of
>> >time, and some rather profound changes. And i said there are great
>> >structural continuities, too. I wondered, though, how much
>> >analytical and political usefulness there was in pointing out the
>> >eternal verities. After reading your & Yoshie's responses, I wonder
>> >even more.
>>
>> You can't look at ceaselessly changing phenomena -- capitalism can't
>> exist without changes -- and identify which are "great structural
>> continuities" and which are "rather profound changes" unless your
>> _theory_ is sparse and constant. There would be no identifiable
>> structural continuity if you kept changing theory every time you
>> encounter a new phenomenon.
>
>> Some profound changes indeed, but do we need to change theory to make
>> sense of them?
>
>Yes. Otherwise you keep slotting what you see into the closest hole in your
>standard theory, regardless of whether it is still appropriate or productive.
>
>Catherine

What specific changes in Marxist theory do you need to make in order to make sense of the changes described in "The Political Economy of Intellectual Property"?

***** The Political Economy of Intellectual Property by Michael Perelman

The dramatic expansion of intellectual property rights represents a new stage in commodification that threatens to make virtually everything bad about capitalism even worse. Stronger intellectual property rights will reinforce class differences, undermine science and technology, speed up the corporatization of the university, inundate society in legal disputes, and reduce personal freedoms.

We have no precise measure of the extent of intellectual property, but a rough calculation by Marjorie Kelly suggests the magnitude of intellectual property rights. At the end of 1995, the book value of the Standard and Poor (S&P) index of 500 companies accounted for only 26 percent of market value. Intangible assets were worth three times the value of tangible assets.1 Of course, not all intangible assets are intellectual property rights, but a substantial proportion certainly is....

<http://www.monthlyreview.org/0103perelman.htm> *****

Yoshie