NYT Mag: Harriet McBryde Johnson vs. Singer

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 18 18:31:11 PST 2003

>There's a remarkable article in this week's New York Times Magazine by
>someone from Not Dead Yet on her encounter with Peter Singer. It's long,
>but it's extremely well written and a pleasure to read. I've never heard
>her position expressed so well. And there's a stylish picture of her
>that's an interesting contrast with her self-descriptions in the article.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/16/magazine/16DISABLED.html
>
>Michael

I thought that the following conversation between Ms. Johnson and "a philosophy professor" was most revealing:

***** A philosophy professor says, ''It appears that your objections to assisted suicide are essentially tactical.''

''Excuse me?''

''By that I mean they are grounded in current conditions of political, social and economic inequality. What if we assume that such conditions do not exist?''

''Why would we want to do that?''

''I want to get to the real basis for the position you take.''

<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/16/magazine/16DISABLED.html> ***** -- Yoshie