Fwd: HNIC #3: Al Sharpton and the Slow Death

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 19 08:23:03 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> HNIC #3
> Al Sharpton and the Slow Death of Black Politics
> by Norman Kelley
> . . . most African Americans have yet to
> confront it. Because black America has not faced up to the moribund
> nature of black politics, it has witnessed the rise of these symbolic
> leaders.

So we blame black Americans for the state of the nation?

The only interesting question in this whole document is, in these sentences, ignored and suppressed.

What accounts for the situation which Kelley only names -- pretending that by naming it he has explained it. The rest is trivia.

I don't blame him for not answering this question. I don't know how to answer it. I blame him for either ignorance or ill will in not raising it, and instead accusing blacks of "not facing up" to the world.

They keep coal in their bathtubs too.

Carrol