Fisk

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Feb 15 18:41:49 PST 2003

I missed Vietnam by a couple of years, so I am asking those old enough to remember. The current view I am seeing in Fox, CNN etc. is one of open hostility to the marchers of this past weekend, saying things like that the marchers have blood on their hands and that they are helping Saddam kill Iraquis. Was the TV coverage of the Anti-Vietnam protest similar? Or is this unprecedented? Thanks. Sergio

The media started off ignoring the early demos, then started bashing them as they became more effective, then slowly began to change their tune as journalists started to get involved directly in the war or at home in the establishment political scene where they were bashed for not supporting `our boys'---which was a spin on not supporting the political figures who were running the war. Finally the media started crying about how they were lied to and deceived by the government---big surprize.

So, in some ways the current media position is similar to the early phase of ignoring the obvious---millions in this country and millions in Europe hate Bush, hate his bogus war, and think the media are a bunch of suck-up stooges.

Chuck Grimes