Decline of the Print Media Re: Boring Lefties/George Seldes

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 19 15:03:12 PST 2003

Yoshie>...Are right-wing books doing well?

Stacy's, a major independent in SF, which always features on the front shelves books from Verso, occasionally from Monthly Review Press and South End Press, (the pamphlet sized booklets by Zinn, Chomsky, Said, McChesney, Eqbal Ahmed have sold well, too) right now has the new Mona Charen, "Useful Idiots, " right by the Chomsky interview collection, "Understanding Power." Unfortunately, the Charen is flying off the shelves. (Though, I'm going to skim it in my Need to Know The Enemy mode.)

Seldes lost a large chunk of his readership of In Fact when the CPUSA condemned his pro-Tito stance. Wonder how many "progressives" and CPUSA subscribers, unsubbed to I.F. Stone's Weekly when he condemned the Soviet intervention in Hungary in '56 and printed a travelogue from a trip to the USSR that said it was drab and free speech was absent? -- Michael Pugliese