"Average Joe"

David Jennings djenning at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
Wed Feb 19 17:05:45 PST 2003

> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:06:03 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: "Average Joe"
>
> David Jennings wrote:
>
> >original point was that even among said workers, support for
> >war is thin and based more on fear than Taibbi's version of resentment.
>
> Fear of what? Car bombings in Athens, Ga.?

Um, yeah. See, Saddam is a threat to our homes and families, just like a rattlesnake. I'm not saying that this has alot of pull with alot of people, but I has an audience:

[http://miller.senate.gov/press/2002/100302-Iraq-resolution-snakes.html]

[Ga. senator Zell] Miller Co-Sponsors Iraq Resolution Uses Snake-Killing Story As Analogy for Why Saddam Hussein Must Go

<snip/>

"A Copperhead will kill you. It could kill one of my dogs. It could kill one of my grandchildren. It could kill any one of my four great grandchildren. They play all the time where I found those killers.

"And you know, when I discovered these Copperheads, I didn't call my wife Shirley for advice, like I do on most things. I didn't go before the city council. I didn't yell for help from my neighbors. I just took a hoe and knocked them in the head and killed them. Dead as a doorknob.

"I guess you could call it a unilateral action. Or preemptive. Perhaps if you had been watching me you could have even called it bellicose and reactive.

"I took their poisonous heads off because they were a threat to me. And they were a threat to my home and my family. They were a threat to all I hold dear. And isn't that what this is all about?"