Balochistan In Iraq's Shadows

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Feb 19 17:30:17 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 07:16 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ulhas Joglekar wrote:
>
>> If the US decides to overthrow the Iranian regime after getting rid
>> of the
>> Saddam Hussein regime in Iraq
>
> It's a lovely world, isn't it? I forget, though - where does Syria fit
> in the sequence?

patience, grasshopper. all in due time:

"[according to the Project for the New American Century,] even if evidence does not link Iraq directly to the attack, any strategy aimed at the eradication of terrorism and its sponsors must include a determined effort to remove Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq... any war against terrorism must target Hezbollah. We believe the administration should demand that Iran and Syria immediately cease all military, financial, and politician support for Hezbollah and its operations. Should Iran and Syria refuse to comply, the administration should consider appropriate measures of retaliation... Until the Palestinian Authority moves against terror, the United States should provide it no further assistance.' Tensions rose in governmental circles between those who wanted to attack non-Al Q'aeda organisations in Lebanon and elsewhere and more cautious politicians like Secretary of State Colin Powell, who had little time for the worldview, articulated at an American Enterprise Institute panel moderated by Richard Perle on 29 October 2001, by Michael Ledeen: 'This is total war. We are fighting a variety of enemies. There are lots of them out there... If we just let our own vision of the world go forth, and embrace it entirely, and we don't try to be clever and piece together clever diplomatic solutions to this thing, but just wage a total war against these tyrants, I think we will do very well, and our children will sing great songs about us years from now.'"

that total war quote -- a great quote -- is being mis-attributed to perle in what's going around, citing pilger. but when i looked at pilger's piece, he doesn't actually say that perle said it. so, playing pugliese, i tried to track down the actual source, which appears to be an aei panel. alas, i haven't been able to get my hands on a transcript. but the account above gibes with everything else i've been seeing.

http://www.bstwc.fsnet.co.uk/information/hensmandrive.html also see: http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0147/vest.php