Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 20 11:52:13 PST 2003

loupaulsen at attbi.com wrote:

>And yet you would agree, I hope, that the issue in the case may transcend your
>personal evaluation of the client? A lot of constitutional law has involved
>unsavory defendants and plaintiffs, no? In the cases of Milosevic and of
>Ntakirutimana, you have issues of due process and of the legitimacy of the
>court itself.

Yes, but a politically motivated lawyer should choose his cases because they signal something about his judgment and principles. And this choice says that Clark is a reckless slut.

How would you have felt if Clark had volunteered to defend Pinochet? Similar principles would be at stake - the validity of the international jurisdiction, etc. Regardless, it would stink to high heaven. This stinks more and higher.

Doug