Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 20 13:23:52 PST 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Doug produces some curiously illiberal statements
>below about very bad guys not being entitled to good
>defenses by lawyers on the political left.

What can I say? I'm not a liberal. I don't think it does the cause of fighting U.S. imperialism - which I assume is Clark's cause - any good by being associated with the Rwandan genocide. That's a political judgment, not a legal opinion. I don't have the same feeling at all about, say, Tigar defending Nichols or Stewart defending the sheik or Counselor X defending a career mugger. Their histories are different, and the cases far less radioactive.