Michael Hardt & Tariq Ali

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 20:48:08 PST 2003

I think Hardt and Ali both make good points in their seperate articles (though I wish that Ali would not have resorted to such terms as "immoral" and "unjust".).

We mustn't pin our hopes on the UN or nation-states, like France or Germany. I saw too much of this "good" european and "bad" american rhetoric in the demonstration this past weekend.

The anti-globalization movements, which exist within the greater anti-war movement, based upon its experience certainly could not, at least I hope not, fall prey to such naivete as to believe that Europe is somehow "nicer" than the United States. I hope that those members of the anti-globalization movements will make their voices heard at future events and that this

"pro-europeanism" will be properly criticized within the anti-war movement. What will happen if the UN were to sanction this war? Would that mean that we should pack our picket signs away and agree that the "democratic process" has worked and therefore an attack is justified?

I have seen no attempts by the anti-globalization movement to analyse the war in the context of globalization. Maybe there have been efforts to do so, I haven't seen them though.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"