Hardt

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 07:52:05 PST 2003

--- Patrick Bond <pbond at sn.apc.org> wrote:

> From: "Chris Burford" <cburford at gn.apc.org>
> Hardt:
> > >One of the great achievements of the
> globalisation protest movements, in
> > >other words, has been to put an end to thinking
> of politics as a contest
> > >among nations or blocs of nations.
>
> If true, this would be a big big problem. Thank
> goodness it's not. E.g., see
> Walden Bello's recent take on geopolitics (albeit
> with a strange conclusion)
> in the latest ATTAC newsletter (let me know if you
> need it).

I know this is addressed to Chris, but I have a few questions. Of course, if Hardt believes that all contradictions, conflicts have been eliminated, then that obviously would be a flawed assesment. Judging from other things he's written, I dont think that is the case, but you are right to point this out. Could you please direct me to Walden Bello's essay that you indicate above?

Also in a period of postcolonialism, where the use of such agencies as the World Bank, etc do you really think that the nation-state is a useful "weapon" or sanctuary for the multitudes to rely on? I dont know that that is what you are arguing. Maybe you are not.

> > >Internationalism has been reinvented as
> > >a politics of global network connections with a
> global vision of possible
> > >futures.
>
> What's new? That's how virtually all our pre-Seattle
> left solidarity could
> be described,

Well, do you think that "global network" was as strong and as extensive as what we presently have with the internet? I remember when attending university in France in the early 80s, the French didn't even think there WAS a left in America. I was the first American leftist most of my fellow students had ever known. Now I can chat and coordinate with activists around the world.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"