Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 21 10:54:13 PST 2003

The best two book on the PCP aka Sandero Luminoso are by Peruvian journalist, Gustavo Gorrati (Duke Univ. Press, I think) and Steve Stern's collection, "Shining and Other Paths, " which I'm sure is from Duke. From a former cadre of the Democratic Workers Party (remember Marlene Dixon and the journal, "Contemporary Marxism." Some of the same academic lefties are on the editorial bd. of, "Social Justice, " which had a good Christian Parenti piece recently.The best writer on Guatemala, Susanne Jonas was in the DWP which had substantial strenth here in SF, two decades ago. Three former cadre wrote a crit/self-crit for SR circa '87 or so.) Michael Pugliese

> ...What is the background of these individuals? Olaechea was never
> accepted into the ranks of the PCP-generated organizations Peru People's
> Movements (MPP) abroad because of his known eccentric and liberal
> tendencies, and his lack of mass work, which are incompatible with the
> Party. Arce, a former militant of the United Left in Peru, who advanced
> to a progressive political position with El Diarioof Lima in the late
> 80's, emigrated to Europe and worked closely with Bob Avakian's
> Revolutionary Communist Party (RCP) and Committee of the Revolutionary
> Internationalist Movement (Co-RIM.) The RCP along with the government of
> Fujimori was instrumental in inflating his supposed "leadership" in the
> PCP. It is important to understand that Arce's El Diario
> Internacional(EDI) should not be confused with El Diarioof Lima. In Peru,
> after 1988, Arce's name as Editor of El Diario, was used as a rubber
> stamp or figurehead only.
The RCP and Arce used their "support" for the PCP as a political capital and to cover themselves with political legitimacy, and tried to build themselves up as a the real leaders of the world revolution, while they were objectively spreading demoralization and defeatism about the People's War. The alliance of Arce (who was acting on behalf of the capitulator Javier Esparza and of Sol Peru-Paris) and the leaders of the RCP came to an end only in early 1994, when Arce published in his EDIa mild critique, "The Silence of the Lambs" against his former patrons [English version,The New FlagVol. 1, No. 2, p. 9] He, who now claims to be a 100% anti-Avakianist, was indeed an agent of Avakian himself at least until 1994. For example, on November 3, 1993, because the MPP had been criticizing the opportunist line of the Committee to Support the Revolution in Peru (CSRP), a RCP organization, Arce, on behalf of the RCP, attacked the comrades of the MPP in the U.S. (clandestine), threatening to reveal their identities in his EDIand in the reactionary Peruvian press, so that their relatives in Peru can be taken care of by the death squads of the murderous regime of Fujimori. a public reply from the MPP was issued on November 12, 1993 which prevented Arce's reprehensible threat. Why do Arce and Olaechea attack and openly slander the Peru People's Movements, whose international tasks follow the International Directives of the Party and are guided by Marxism- Leninism-Maoism, Gonzalo Thought? The slanderous allegations of these individuals against the MPPs are the same ones used by Peruvian reaction and the regime's agents, known as Senderologists. No wonder there is a close alliance between Olaechea and Senderologists such as a Simon Strong! They pretend to raise the red flag to attack and oppose the red flag of the Party. Their anti-Avakianism is a smokescreen to cover up their alliance with the capitulators, whose ideological positions have not been criticized by EDIat all, during the last three years. They try to fool the supporters of the revolution abroad by claiming that the capitulators are only members of the "police," period! Thus, they also avoid the ideological analysis of this sinister force that was wiped out from inside the Party by February 1994 but whose remnants are still active in Peru and abroad. They slander the MPPs as a being "impostors", "fake," "Avakianist agents," "SIN,", etc. These are exactly the same weapons used by imperialism and reaction to discredit the People's War and its supporters abroad. In addition, the tactic of suddenly creating a fake MPP-Belgium and Sol Peru-Belgium, whose only active member is Arce himself, has the purpose of confusing the people, and has already been unmasked. This "MPP-Belgium" is the originator of the WMC. The opportunists Arce and Olaechea have a long history of trafficking with false support for the People's War and at the same time actively discrediting the Peruvian Maoists organized in the MPPs, as a well as a our foreign supporters. Their methods are old and vicious. Their main goal is to isolate the MPPs, create confusion and doubt in the masses by claiming that the MPPs do not belong organically to the Party, and they seek to weaken and split them. These are exactly the same goals of the Peruvian regime and of Yankee imperialism. Have they ever said a word about the old MPP in Paris that capitulated? Never. They never criticize them. Why? Because Arce was a protégé of these traitors. He trafficked under the wings of Sol Peru Paris and the "individual of Sweden." Why have his articles hardly even mentioned his former buddies (compinches) of Sol Peru Paris? Has he ever stated that all of them were police agents? However, Arce and Olaechea make all types of unsubstantiated allegations and diatribes against honest supporters of the People's War. Should we allow this? No. We must criticize them with facts. <SNIP> -- Michael Pugliese, Deng Xsio Ping In Cheek

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy