Newspaper Names

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 21 14:37:05 PST 2003

J Cullen wrote:

> By the way, AP membership used to be exclusive to one newspaper in
> each town. That's why Scripps-Howard started United Press and Hearst
> started International News Service.

Marshall Field's Chicago Sun sued when it was denied AP membership. The AP was dominated by Bertie McCormick, ownder and editor of the Chicago Tribune.

Again, I strongly urge people to read Upton Sinclair's _The Brass Check_. It is useful in upending vague historical nostalgia for those non-existent days when the press wasn't owned by and run in the interests of a bunch of SOBs.

Carrol