Put an End to "Anti-Americanism" Re: Michael Hardt

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 21 19:23:01 PST 2003

At 7:20 PM -0800 2/20/03, Ian Murray wrote:
>A trap set for protesters
>Michael Hardt
>Friday February 21, 2003
>The Guardian
<snip>
>Corresponding in part to the new US anti-Europeanism, there is today
>in Europe and across the world a growing anti-Americanism. In
>particular, the coordinated protests last weekend against the war
>were animated by various kinds of anti-Americanism - and that is
>inevitable. The US government has left no doubt that it is the
>author of this war and so protest against the war must, inevitably,
>be also protest against the United States.

I thought that global protests on February 15, 2003 were against US imperialism and the regimes that allied with it -- including such European regimes as the British government, assorted Eastern European governments, etc. -- rather than against "Americans" and "Americanism" (whatever it is in Hardt's mind). What I would like to know is if the term US imperialism exists in Hardt's political vocabulary at all and, if it doesn't, what explains the absence. Can we put an end to the empty phrase "Anti-Americanism" and begin to use US imperialism instead? If the planned war on Iraq isn't a textbook illustration of US imperialism, what is? -- Yoshie